DJ Jeff, Co-Founder, Beachfront Radio
There is probably no other person in Trop Rock that impacted this wonderful, musical movement more than DJ Jeff Allen and Beachfront Radio. He was the first to devote 100% of his time and talent to propelling the popularity of Trop Rock music and taking it to a whole new level. Sadly in 2011, Jeff was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. The DJ Jeff Fund was quickly established to help with insurance copayments, medications and the ever increasing costs of his treatment and the Trop Rock community rallied. Catamaran Concerts was a major reason this fund was so successful holding its first season of live concerts while sailing the waters of Key West in 2011 during MOTM.
Jeff wanted to give back the love and generosity that had been shown to him and he renamed the Fund – “Taking Care Of Our Own”. His vision was that the remaining funds be available to assist others within our Trop Rock community having difficulty with medical bills.
In October 2013, Trop Rock music lost their #1 hero but he will always be known as the “Keeper of the Flame” (Honored in Mike Miller’s song in 2012).
– Carol Ewald, Co-Founder, Beachfront Radio
Catamaran Concerts is carrying on with DJ Jeff’s wish of “Taking Care of Our Own” by donating all proceeds from these shows to musicians and local Charities.
Our past beneficiaries have been:
- Boys & Girls Club, of the Key, 2018
- Kids Come First, Key West, 2017, 2018
- Phins to the West, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Music on the Bay, 2017, 2018
- Laid Back Attack, 2018
- Michael Miller, Musician, 2017
- DKMS, 2017
- Glen Himmaugh, Howard Livingston’s Sound Man, 2016
- Meet Me in the Keys, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016
- Hugo Duarte, Musician, 2015
- DJ Jeff, Founder, Beachfront Radio, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Troy Allen, Musician, 2012